You may be surprised to learn that nearly seventy percent of online shoppers visiting your site, travel through your webpages, arrive at your shopping cart, and exit without making a purchase. This percentage should give you cause for concern. Why are so many individuals who seem to be interested in your product leaving just before investing?
Data presented by Statista, (an online statistics portal that offers free information) reveals the top ten explanations for this early departure from the shopping cart. Many of these reasons are beyond your control, but there are several that you may be able to address:
- bottom line price, after shipping, came as a surprise
- shopper was just browsing
- price was better elsewhere
- shopper changed his or her mind
- item itself was too pricey
- checkout process was too much work
- website crashed
- checkout process took too long
- security questions were too intense
- shopper felt that there was not enough security
Taking the next three steps can effectively increase your success rate, by removing the distractions and deterrents faced by your online shoppers:
- Keep your pricing competitive. It is easy to comparison shop by price online and it is reasonable to expect that your site’s visitors will do just that. Unless your product has a clear distinction, or offers a special unique quality, they will take the better deal elsewhere. Let them know up front what the shipping costs will be. If you can, offer free shipping, or a discount for multiple items.
- When presenting your potential customers with questioners, ask only the questions necessary for them make their order and complete their online transaction. Most people are trying to save time by shopping the internet and they will not spend the time to fill out a lengthy and unnecessary form. It is too easy to just exit the process and look for a less complicated one. Many shoppers are uncomfortable giving out too much information and feel that their security is being compromised.
- Test your site to make sure that the entire process works from beginning to end. Make sure that the steps offered are clear, and that links and vector buttons take your visitors where they expect to go.
Each of these steps that you apply to your checkout procedure will improve your shopping cart’s statistics. Even the smallest changes, according to your local seo, will show you increased sales over time.
Tags: online consumer behavior