Almost anyone who is part of a growing business has heard about the benefits of content marketing. Even though this great marketing strategy is among the most popular techniques today, a lot of businesses are still hesitant to try it.
Content marketing, when done correctly, can make an online business succeed, just like it did many thriving businesses in the cyberspace. However, there are various factors that can make your efforts fail. Take the bandwidth factor as an example. Bandwidth that is compressed can make it more challenging for content marketers to make the reader hang on and stay on the page; it can significantly decrease their attention span. With compressed bandwidth, it is harder to support the constant expansion of new publishing platforms to meet the ever changing demands of the consumers.
So, how can content marketing be an effective strategy for small businesses that want to level the field?
1. Creation of initial content marketing strategy. If this is not the first step in your list of priorities, you better get started. Brainstorm and create a content marketing strategy that is correlated and parallel with your business’ goals. Stop rushing everything by planning ahead. Rushed plans not only destroy creativity and increases stress, it often leads to hatching of poor quality ideas. It is ideal to have a 12 month content marketing strategy created in advance that is simply adjusted when needed.
2. Setting up the production process. After planning, the next step is the designing of the process to make the entire thing efficient. Create a structure that ensures the flow of content from creation, distribution and measurement. This step involves determining the Who, What, When and Where of your production process.
3. Delegate and assign specialization. Content marketing is successful when employees do things that they are good at. It is quite tedious to find experts, not to mention expensive. The answer: make your own experts. Subject matter expertise is an essential point in this industry. Proper delegation of projects develops subject matter expertise that helps attainment of excellence. Invest in needed trainings and resources to enhance skills, increase productivity and improve the quality of work.
4. Reinvent and repurpose. A content marketing system always involves repurposing content. In simple terms, this allows you to create more with less work. This involves splitting large contents into blog posts or creating a series of chapters in an eBook. More content means more reach compared to one big post. This also challenges the team to repurpose and recreate content to make the content relevant.
5. Increase budget. Aside from the passion, this industry thrives in a monetary perspective which means an increased budget is of prime importance. Whenever there is a chance for a sponsor to “buy-in,” always be proactive by making decisions based on knowledge of your performance and projects. An increased budget widens the horizons for marketing projects including videos and infographics.
6. Create and follow data information. Track your performance based on quantifiable metrics. This type of data allows you to determine which are the best performing subjects and formats. Do this by defining your objectives and the key performance indicators to be the standard of content marketing success. This information allows you to build up strengths and improve on weaknesses.
Finally, be open to the future and next generation of content marketing. After all the media and consumers are constantly changing; thus, adapting to these changes is necessary to attain content marketing success.
Tags: content marketing